Search This Blog

Friday 1 September 2017

Rogart Mountain Trail, NS


I lived in Nova Scotia for quite a few years before I started hearing tidbits about Sugar Moon. 

Finally my husband and I decided to go see what all the fuss was about. We went for a late breakfast in the Spring and it was very busy. You sit on benches along communal tables with other patrons. The décor is rustic and in theme with the atmosphere. I did not love the food, my husband liked it more than I did. It is something I’m glad I tried once to say I did. I noticed now that they have a new menu and I might give it one more try but their gluten free pancakes are cooked on the same space as regular pancakes – so not gluten free. It does seem to be a popular thing for people to do in the Spring so give it a go and let me know what you think. 

You can also buy maple products there, 

and you can make candy on the snow which I enjoy. 

For a small fee you can also tour their facility but since we both grew up in New Brunswick it was not worth it to us, we have seen how it is done many times. 

Here is a picture of it when it isn't as busy.

To be fair here are  a couple of pictures of when they try to brighten it up.


The best part about going there was the discovery of the Rogart Mountain trail which we have now done many times. 


It is part of this trail system,

Before I get into the trail, here are a few pictures of the view on the drive there.



The trail is 6.2 K. The first part is steep and rocky,

and it meanders through forest,

 and a field,

before joining an old forest road. 

Near the end of the trail is Jane’s waterfall. 

There are several look off points along the trail, 

geo caches and some points of interest such as an old stone foundation and rock wall that belonged to the old homesteads. 

You can get a map from Sugar Moon and although the trail is clearly visible it is nice to have the map just to learn about the points of interest.

There used to be very good signage all along the trail, 

marking where you were along the trail, distance and points of interest but when I was there in the Spring this had all been taken down and some work was being done so I’m not sure if there is new signage up at this point or not. I'm assuming they have put up something even better. 

In the winter you can rent snowshoes for this trail but for me I think that would be too treacherous. We have done it in Spring when there was still snow on the ground but the trail was well packed and there was no need for snowshoes. 

Personally I prefer the trail in late spring or fall.  In the spring you might see some lady slippers, these are rare and should not be picked or transplanted. 


There isn’t much wildlife along the trail, sometimes a couple of birds and the occasional snake but you don’t even hear a squirrel in these woods. They are very quiet. 

There is usually quite a bit of dead fall as well so watch out for that.



But for the most part this is a wonderful nature trail with water,

ferns,
flowers,
and views.

The trail loops around and comes back out on the road to Sugar Moon.

Just before you come out on this road you walk by this.





I've used pictures from Spring, Fall & Winter so you can see it at different times of year. Here are a few more pictures.















This is a nice trail to hike in a morning or an afternoon and it isn’t far from Truro if you want to go for a meal afterwards. We usually do.



No comments:

Post a Comment