Search This Blog

Monday 28 June 2021

F9

 

F9                                                                          June 28, 2021

Fast and Furious 9. The making of nine of these movies boggles my mind! I understand that they are making a lot of money and therefore, why mess with a good thing. I even went and saw it, knowing it was going to be eye rollingly bad, but when you have seen all the others, you feel like you need to see the latest installment.

If you don’t know what these movies are all about – imagine Looney Tunes but with real people. Everyone does ridiculous things to get themselves killed but they never die. These movies all have the same three elements, stunts, family and saving the world. All of these concepts are taken to the extreme. No one in the world has a family like this, except of course on screen where they play make believe. These movies are for adolescent boys - cars, explosions, women and high ideals.

I did enjoy myself during this movie, I made fun of all the craziness, I laughed at the ridiculous and rolled my eyes at the sappiness. And there is a lot of sappiness, long drawn out looks at each other and gushing, unrealistic family bonds. My least favorite character is the main character, Dom. He is unbelievably pompous and high on himself. If this was a person in real life, he would have zero friends.

I know, as a female, I should appreciate that they have included competent, self-reliant women. And, I do appreciate this. Sadly, these women are dressed appallingly. I know that doesn’t matter in real life, but in the movies, especially one where everything is complete fantasy, couldn’t they make an effort where these characters are concerned. Apparently they are trying to make the layered tank top a trend. In fact tank tops are a staple in all the characters wardrobes. The one exception, where they made an effort, was in the case of Charlize Theron. She was wearing red leather pants, and you guessed it, layered tank tops throughout the entire movie. This outfit was the only spot of color, sadly the pants were ill fitting and the tank tops – seriously, what is with all the tank tops? Do they have a contract with a tank top maker? Did they spend so much money on unrealistic stunts that they had to use the cheapest clothing possible? Who knows.

Anyway, if you loved the Looney Tunes as a child and you want a good eye rolling laugh or if you love the unbelievable – go see this movie, apparently everyone else has.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment