Search This Blog

Saturday 6 August 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Part I and II


By J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne, and John Tiffany

I read the Harry Potter books as they came out and then I read them to my daughter. We went to each movie together, sometimes for the midnight showing so we could see it as soon as possible. I remember late nights with my daughter and a carload of her friends, they would spend the night and I would tiptoe out the door in the morning and try to keep my eyes open through the workday. We loved those books, the characters and the imaginative world J.K. Rowling had created. This spring we even took a trip to Florida specifically to visit Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure for the Harry Potter World – which is an amazing place for any fan to visit.

Being such big fans we were very excited about the new book and I went to the store first thing on July 31st to pick up my copy. I wasn’t able to read it right away as we were busy but I read it as soon as I could. I know that when you build something up you have high expectations and often times you enjoy something more if it comes as a pleasant surprise, well my expectations for this book were way too high and I ended up very disappointed.

First of all this is written as a play and therefore you lose all the heart, and depth of the story. It is as bare bones as possible and not a fun format to read. I was also very disappointed with the premise of the story, how going back in time changes the future. This has been done so many times already that it seems lame for an author with such an impressive imagination. I found it quite boring and dull, only getting a little better near the end when Harry’s son starts to become a character and not a hollow name on a page.

I won’t be able to see the play as I live too far away but I am hoping they make this into a movie because I think it would be much more enjoyable that way. I’m the type of person who likes to read the book before seeing the movie so you know the background and what the characters are thinking and feeling but in this case I think the opposite will be true.


I feel I set myself up for disappointment with this book – expecting it to be as well written and thought out as the previous books but I am glad that I read it because now I know for myself. Plus, I need to have the hard cover version to sit on the shelf beside my other Harry Potter books but I am disgusted that they charged so much money for it when it is obviously not nearly the quality of the other books in the series. Sadly disappointed in the poor quality of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment